Sunday, November 23, 2008

Really, Disney?

I know that it's kind of played out to make jokes about all the sexual innuendo in Disney movies. So I won't, even though there are like, 1,000 penises in "The Little Mermaid."

I came across this article and would have laughed really hard at it if it didn't heart my heart so much to read it.

Don't get it twisted, I still love Disney -- these movies were among my favorites growing up -- and they do seem to avoid this kind of thing these days, but it's still pretty wild to look back on some of the characters these guys dreamed up, reflecting much of society's views of "the other" at the times the films were made.

1 comment:

Nicole Kristine said...

That was interesting. Reminds me of the children's books we read in my "Sociology of Gender."

It was like, "Girls cook for boys, and boys play outside."