Friday, May 23, 2008

"See You Soon"



I had to say goodbye to two of my good friends this weekend. One of them is Tim Thorpe, who is leaving to serve in Iraq for the Army. The other is Amy Farris, who is going to grad school at UNC.


I knew that saying goodbye would be tough and had long resigned myself to the fact that these two companions would be leaving. I was prepared for goodbyes and last hurrahs, but after this past weekend I was surprised at just how much had been taken out of me from saying "see ya later."

I've had to say goodbye to many friends over the past couple of years. Brandon, Justin, Ben, KK, Igby, and others have moved to Seattle. Lachlan went to Houston (seriously Lach... Houston?). Mick is serving in the Army in South Korea. GPS is going to Portland. I feel like I should be getting accustomed to this farewell scene, but I'm just not. Maybe that's a good thing.

Tim's was a bit harder for me, since he is going off to war. There is an inherent worry that accompanies his journey, but I also know that if there is anyone I've met who is prepared for adventure, it is Tim. He'll be fine and, hard as it may be to believe, will come back even more of a man than he is now.


Amy is going across the counry, but I've become more accustomed to her departures. I've known her since high school and every year she packs up and goes somewhere crazy, like Senegal, or here. She'll go off to North Carolina and do more great things (like score me some tickets to the UNC-Duke basketball game), but I hope that she'll come back to us, just like she always has.


I'm going to miss you guys, so take care of yourselves, alright?


Love.

3 comments:

Kelsie said...

I can't totally related to the feeling of sending someone off to war. One of our closet friends will be deployed in a month's time. He is a newly wed---how hard!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Dizzo, Houston.

I think we're doing a RYD down here, details are sparse... more to follow.

Motobahta said...

I know exactly how you were/are feeling here, because I can remember saying good bye to so many people I cared for deeply only to never see them again. My advice to you is to stay in touch as much as possible. Technology makes it easy (email and the internet both bring people together and allow them to stay in contact). Unfortunately, when I said good bye to many of my friends, all we had was an address or phone number for that moment in time...